The following is a list of discussion questions composed for a CrossWay Community Church small group, Christ & Culture, for use throughout November and December 2018.
- What does the Bible have to say about same-sex sexuality?
- Is same-sex sexuality sinful?
- What Biblical or theological questions do we have about this issue?
- If someone is — as one might say — “born gay,” than how can we condemn their same-sex sexuality as sinful?
- Can someone be same-sex attracted and Christian?
- Is same-sex attraction a choice?
- Is same-sex attraction itself sinful? Why is this distinction (if valid) important?
- If someone is same-sex attracted and becomes a Christian, what should we expect their discipleship and sanctification to look like? For example, should we expect their same-sex attraction to go away? Why or why not?
- Should same-sex attracted Christians embrace the label or self-identification of being gay (e.g., “gay Christian”)? Why or why not?
- How should we evaluate the cultural phenomenon of linking one’s sexuality with one’s identity?
- Are same-sex attracted individuals, by nature of being same-sex attracted, called to a life of celibacy?
- What can we do as a church, as believers, to better help those in our midst or those in our community who are same-sex attracted? What has the church previously done well in this matter? Done poorly?
- Many same-sex attracted Christians who choose a life of singleness can be susceptible to a sense of loneliness. How can we as a church help, encourage, and be more mindful of them?
- Self-professing Christians disagree on this question — is homosexuality sinful? Is this an area where we can just “agree to disagree” and still maintain unity?
- How can we help children (our own, or those in our church) navigate this topic in a culture that is increasingly affirming (and with insistence) of same-sex sexualities?
- What should Christians make of “gay marriage”?
- Should Christians support or oppose the legalization of gay marriage?
- Should Christians attend their homosexual friends’ wedding ceremony?
- Should Christians in certain professions (e.g., bakers, photographers) refuse to provide services for same-sex marriages?
- How should we counsel someone who is in a homosexual marriage (according to law) and becomes a Christian?
- How can we winsomely communicate our convictions to non-believers?
Transgenderism & Gender Dysphoria:
- What should we make of “gender dysphoria”? Is transgenderism a choice, sin, disorder, and/or valid expression of self-understanding?
- What does the Bible have to say, if anything, about gender dysphoria or transgenderism?
- How can we help those experiencing gender dysphoria or self-identifying themselves as transgender?
- Should we accommodate and use individuals’ “preferred pronouns” even if they conflict with their known biological sex?
- How should we counsel someone who becomes a Christian and previously underwent sex reassignment surgery?