- 1:1-2 — Greeting.
- 1:3-11 — A salvation that produces growth in godliness.
- 1:3-4 — Our salvation has granted us godliness.
- 1-5-7 — Therefore, put on godliness.
- 1:8-9 — Which is the product (effect) of our salvation.
- 1:10-11 — And thereby confirms our salvation.
- 1:12-15 — A truth bearing repeating [hinge]
- 1:16-21 — A truth attested.
- 1:16-18 — Attested by eyewitness testimony to the transfiguration.
- 1:19-21 — Attested along with the entirely reliable prophetic word.
- 2:1-22 — Truth which is contravened by false teachers.
- 2:1 — The prediction of false teachers.
- 2:2-3a — The influence of the false teachers.
- 2:3a-10a — The condemnation of false teachers (and salvation of the godly).
- 2:10b-11 — Description of the false teachers: their insolence.
- 2:12-13a — The destruction of the false teachers (reiterated).
- 2:13b-16 — Description of the false teachers (cont.): arrogance, lust, & greed.
- 2:17-21 — The casualty (outcome) of the false teachers.
- 3:1-18 — The Lord’s Return.
- 3:1-2 — Remember the predictions and commandment.
- 3:3-4 — Prediction of those who scoff at Christ’s second-coming.
- 3:5-7 — Their error.
- 3:8-9 — The Lord is patient to return, not slow.
- 3:10 — The coming of the day of the Lord.
- 3:11-13 — Live holy in light of his coming.
- 3:14-18 — Concluding exhortations.
1:1 Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: 2 May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.
A salvation that produces growth in godliness
Our salvation has granted us godliness
3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence, 4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
Therefore, put on godliness
5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.