I heard a great sermon out of Philippians 2:1-11 by Brian Trainer yesterday in chapel (2.28.2012). Here are my sermon notes:
Why we shouldn’t blow our own horn:
- Because of Christ’s future exaltation. You cannot blow and bow at the same time (v.9-11).
- Because of Christ’s past humiliation. You can’t blow your own horn at the foot of the cross (v.5-8).
- Because of our present relationship with Christ (v.1).
How do you know if you’re a horn blower?
- Do you have unresolved conflict with another believer (4:2-3)?
- Do you have prideful misperceptions about your background (3:7-8)?
- Do you care only about yourself (1:15)?
- Do you seek theological division (1:15-18)?
Additional thoughts: Pride is one of the most difficult sins to resist because…
- It seems to be at the root of practically every other sin.
- It is not typically a sin committed consciously or intentionally as are most other sins.
- It is extremely easy to be prideful even in one’s humility.