The following was originally composed for publication at Rolfing Library. I have added here a brief note of introduction.
- The following list of commentaries was composed using a variety of reliable sources. Therefore, this final product is the result of a collaboration of various reliable opinions. I have only interacted with a small percentage of these commentaries. My opinion and experience is a factor at times. But for the most part, I relied on the opinion of others.
- I composed the following list for my reference job at Trinity International University’s (of which Trinity Evangelical Divinity School is a part) Rolfing Memorial Library. In other words, this list was created for academic use. Priority was given to commentaries which are more technical in nature. Although I am an evangelical, priority was not necessarily awarded based on evangelical conclusions. Quality commentaries of more liberal bent are also included. In light of these two realities, the nature of this list will best serve students and pastors. Nonetheless, a variety of commentary types were included (e.g., critical, technical, pastoral, devotional, etc.). Less technical, more devotional commentaries were included when they received significantly high reviews.
- I attempted to provide 4-6 commentaries per book. Variation exists due to how many ‘stand out’ commentaries exist per book. Deviation from this 4-6 amount norm occurs with the inclusion of commentaries that only cover certain portions of a biblical book (e.g., see the commentaries listed under “Psalms”).
- Library of Congress call numbers (e.g., BS1235.3 .W46x v.1 1987) are included since I made this list for library use. I have decided not to take the time to remove them.
- This list was completed on 7.17.2014. Commentaries published after this date were not considered in the formation of this list.
- Wenham, Gordon J. Genesis 1-15 and Genesis 16-50. Word Biblical Commentary. Waco: Word Books, 1987 and 1994. (BS1235.3 .W46x v.1 1987 and BS1235.3 .W462x v.2 1994)
- Hamilton, Victor P. The Book of Genesis: Chapters 1-17 and The Book of Genesis: Chapters 18-50.The New International Commentary on the Old Testament. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1990 and 1995. (BS1235.3 .H32 1990 and BS1235.3 .H323 1995)
- Westermann, Claus. Genesis 1-11, Genesis 12-36, and Genesis 37-50. Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1984-1986. (BS1235.3 .W4413 1984, BS1235.3 .W44313 1985, and BS1235.3 .W3713 1986)
- Mathews, Kenneth. Genesis 1- 11:26 and Genesis 11:27-50:26. American Commentary. Nashville, TN: Holman Reference, 1996 and 2005. (BS1235.3 .M37 1995)
- Waltke, Bruce K. Genesis: A Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2001. (BS1235.53 .W34x 2001)